Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's Never too Late to Learn

The hubs and I have been married 9 years. In this time I have learned very little of his native language. I mean, in my personal opinion any language which actually considers the pairing of "Lj" as a single letter is not really comprehensible.

I have randomly made fun of his language saying it didn't have nearly enough vowels in it (citing especially the word for finger "prst" see? No vowels, that can't be a word, right?). But, it's somewhat hard for me to argue that my kids need to learn the language of their grandparents and me not learn it.

Of course, this was relatively impossible when we were in Arkansas. There were no other Croatians in Arkansas - at least none that we knew of. However, there is a large population of them here. Once a month we attend a Croatian language mass. In attending we've met quite a few friends, and I've been happy to realize that I am not alone in being the "spouse who only speaks English". So, a group of us have decided to get together and attempt to learn.

"Class" started last night. "Students" range in age from teenagers to an elderly couple (i.e. in their 80's). We started with the alphabet... yep all 30 letters of it and a few simple words. We'll see how this goes...

I took 4 years of Spanish in school, it started out as my minor in college. Today I know enough to count, say colors and get myself to the police station and/or hospital in an emergency. Hopefully, I'll fare a bit better in the memory skills with Croatian... In the meantime, I guess I'd better go study because moj Hrvatski je los (my Croatian is bad). 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's neat you're learning Croatian! I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and another 14 hours in college... yet, I don't speak Spanish. I can read some / pick up bits here and there, but by no means at the level I should be with all that school. The difference is that I never talked to anyone in it. At least you have Andre and other native speakers who can converse with you. Even if it's embarrasing at first, it's a good resource. And I'm sure it means a lot to him.

    ReplyDelete