Friday, August 20, 2010

Movie Review: Dinner for Schmucks

I don't normally do movie reviews, I leave those more my much more entertaining friend, Audreya. And yes, She is the only follower I repeatedly tag - because most of the rest of you just stalk me and don't blog as well. Anyway, today I'm deciding to steal the topic. I wasn't going to blog about Dinner For Schmucks, but the lack of anything else interesting happening lately has made me do it.

I think the problem with this movie is those of us who love the actors go into it with too high of expectations. Steve Carrell and Zach Galifinakis are two of the most hilarious guys out there (in my opinion). And, Paul Rudd is just adorable. I could lick him. But, that's another blog. Plus, Carrell and Rudd have some pretty great pairings under their belt already, examples: Ron Burgandy, and 40 year old virgin.

The movie starts out OK. Rudd works in a financial company and he's trying to work his way up the ladder. He makes a gutsy, yet impressive move to get the CEO's attention. He is told he is in line for the next promotion, but first he has to come to dinner. "Great," he thinks. No - there's a catch.... they have to bring a "guest," someone "who is or does something special" at the end of the night the most "special" (a.k.a. most ridiculous) person there gets an award. And, the guy that invited him gets bragging rights until the next time.

Of course, Rudd is appalled - but he's overextended and needs this promotion so he agrees to go. He has no idea where he'll find someone. His girlfriend tells him he's horrible for considering it. He tries to figure out a way to get out of it. And then he hits Steve Carrell with his car. He didn't see him because he was "rescuing" a dead mouse from the street. hmm... Carrell then begins to describe how he saves the bodies, taxidermies them, and sets them up as art/sculpture/whatever. He hands Rudd a taxidermied mouse dressed as Jesus. Of course Rudd takes this as a sign from God that he must go to the dinner and take Carrell with him.

Chaos ensues. Galfinakis' role is small, but he is hilarious in it. He is one of the bright spots in the movie. Unfortunately, while funny, the movie is too long. It probably would have been more entertaining if less had actually made it to the screen. On the other hand the actual "dinner" was a very short piece of the movie, if they had chopped some of the material leading up to the dinner and left more of that footage in there, it could have been more entertaining.

I did get quite a few laughs out of it, but then there were pieces where I felt like they were trying to hard.  It is something I'd watch again but I wouldn't spend the money to buy it. For this reason I give it a C. However I did see several trailers for movies I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE. A new segment of Meet the Parents is coming out, apparently they now have children... this new movie will be out at Christmas and is called Little Fockers. And, Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galfinakis are teaming up with the director from The Hangover to make a movie called Due Date. They are trying to get across the country to the birth of RDJ's firstborn. Looks like lots of chaos ensues on their road trip and it should be a Planes, Trains & Automobiles meets Hangover laugh fest. I can only hope!

2 comments:

  1. YESSSS!!!! Between getting you to use "chaos ensues" and thinking licking people (especially Paul Rudd... slurp!!) is acceptable behavior, my plan to invade your subconscious... and then, of course, the world... is playing out nicely!!

    And this was a great review, which saved me $9.25. Well, $8.25... because I'll use the other $1 to rent this from Redbox instead of seeing it at the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he he... a future blog topic will be "people I'd like to lick" but I'm afraid cyberspace isn't quite ready for that.

    ReplyDelete