Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Movie Review: The American

Even the movie poster makes you think
 it's going to be Bondish.
007 would be sorely disappointed.
As I alluded in yesterday's blog, The American was a disappointment. The trailer wisely edited together the best parts of the movie thinking you were going to see George Clooney in some sort of James Bond film. I didn't do any research on the movie before hand. I really wasn't sure what it was about, and figured it was some sort of action movie.

Hmmm... should have done my research on this one. While there were pieces of action, the movie was dreadfully slow. And, there was barely any conversation. I'm all for artistic expression, but when the dialogue in the movie makes Castaway seem like an endless manuscript of dialogue, you know something's missing.

To the director's credit, there is some gorgeous camera work. The artistry of depicting the Italian countryside is splendid. However, it just wasn't enough to keep me entertained. You can only see the main character speed down the Italian countryside (and I use the term "speed" very loosely as he drove an older sedan that didn't appear to be able to go above 45 mph without falling apart) so many times before you start to wonder what color the walls are behind the tapestries of the theatre you're sitting in.

George plays an assassin/arms dealer of sorts who decides he's giving up the life. He befriends a priest. He courts a prostitute (another awkward bought of filming - while I'm all for a good sex scene, really the camera doesn't need to focus on the lady's naked boobs for which seems like an eternity) and asks her to run away with him.

Things don't go according to his plan. I won't give away details, but know that it's a movie that requires you to think.

On the plus side, George gets more lickable with age. On the downside, it's only entertaining to watch him work out the first time, the following 2-3 scenes of him working out in dress slacks are somewhat stupid. Why would anyone, especially an assassin, not have a pair of proper work out clothes?

In case you haven't figured it out, I would give this movie a D-. I don't like to give F's, and I can appreciate the artistry of the movie. But, I truly could have been more entertained if I had taken a match to $20 and watched it burn to a crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment