Thursday, September 9, 2010

What is Freedom?

Feedom can be many things to many people. My political view of the word freedom is:

Freedom is being able to express yourself, in any way you choose. Burning your bra, protesting ideas you feel are unfair, going (or not going) to a place of worship.

It's knowing that when you go to bed that night, you will not be woken up by strangers with guns who come looking for your children to draft them into mandatory military.

Freedom is knowing that you can look for work in whatever profession you want, even though you aren't guaranteed a job in that profession because the employers have the freedom to hire whom they choose.

It's the ability for me to stand up for what I believe in. And for you to tell me I'm an idiot. We disagree but we're still able to be friends at the end of the day.

Freedom is knowing we have to work hard, but the rewards can be great. Freedom requires hard work. Freedom isn't free.

However, my personal view of freedom is:

Freedom means not getting dressed today. Or, if I decide to get dressed it means the ability to go where I want, for as long as I want, with whomever I want.

Sure, that sounds simple... but to those of you who aren't stay at home moms you have no idea how difficult this is.

Freedom would be getting a pedicure more than once every three months - by a professional. Me giving myself pedicures or having some member of the family who is also going to paint my entire foot does not fit the proper description.

Freedom is not worrying about what's for dinner, and who won't eat what. It's ordering take out, or better yet going to the best place in town - you know, a place that actually has stars for ratings, not arches. The place of my choosing, not my kids' definition of "the best place in town." Freedom would be eating somewhere with real waiters and cloth napkins. Oh, and maybe wine or martini glasses!

Freedom is an endless shopping expense account. New shoes. Trendy clothes.

Freedom is who I used to be. But, it's also who I am now. Because inspite of all the negatives listed above, Freedom allowed me to choose to stay home. And in doing so, I had to give up some things- because Freedom is never truly free.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post!

    By the way, the last time I had a pedicure by a professional was three years ago when my ankle was broken. Freedom means I will not force you to look at the state of my heels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I can't figure out how to post the widget thing from writer's workshop, so I didn't post it to her list. Maybe one day I'll get there. lol...

    ReplyDelete