Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Curse of the Phones

It's safe to say, I'm fairly addicted to my blackberry. I use it for everything, so when it began acting up about a month ago I wasn't terribly thrilled.

It started innocently enough. The roller ball in the center just quit working one day. There are other ways to navigate around without the roller ball, so I made due. Then, one day the thing worked again. I didn't question it. I was just thrilled to  not have to navigate the long way.

However, now my camera doesn't work. Anytime I open the camera application it kills my phone. Literally, I have to power it down and take the battery out for a while before it functions again. And it doesn't hold it's charge like it should. Very aggravating.

So, I went to my retail store. They were very nice, said they'd replace it through my warranty. I'd have a new one within a couple days as they have to ship it from the warranty department. Fine. I wasn't thrilled to have to wait, but understand they have their processes. They did say I could go to the warranty department and pick it up if I didn't want to wait - but it's in a part of town I'm not familiar with and didn't care to become familiar with.

So, new phone and battery arrive this week. Great, I think. I charge everything up and get ready to transfer my info. Nope. Won't work. New phone doesn't have anything on it to allow me to set up email. Weird. I go to the retail store again. Guy is confused. His manager is confused. Three people look at it, they are all confused. Said they've never seen anything like it before. Ask me if I have my old phone with me. Of course, I don't. They then explain that I can try do to a transfer through the computer by hooking both phones up to it and that should work. So that's the plan for today - once I find my box of blackberry accessories (the computer cord is something I haven't used since we moved here).

It should be noted that we have, but do not use, a landline phone. The only reason we have it is for the alarm system on the house. I don't even know the phone number without looking it up in my blackberry. So, since we use our cells almost exclusively for everything from talking to internet to gps we typically have a fairly large bill each month. In fact the sales rep informed me we were considered a high value client, and that I could probably use that knowledge as leverage if the warranty department became difficult to work with. I find this tidbit interesting. So far no complaints about their customer service, but we'll see...  here's hoping today's fix works and "Evil Beth" will not have to make an appearance and demand a new phone or take business elsewhere. Yes, I'm petty like that.

5 comments:

  1. See, there are gremlins prowling the area. Nothing is ever as easy as it should be. They should have just handed you a new phone right then and there so you wouldn't have to go through any of this. But then having experience with cell phone failure I say this about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about our Gremlin problem. We'll have to devise a plan to get rid of them, or at the very least sick them on neighbors we don't like. lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get an iPhone and pitch the Blackberry!

    Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an iPhone for work, I prefer the blackberry. I know, I'm weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh!! I hope you can get the new one working soon!! I agree though, I prefer the BB to the iPhone, too!!

    ReplyDelete