Monday, April 26, 2010

Our Amazing Italian Feast

This weekend was a culinary treat! Saturday four of us got together for our dinner & a movie date that we have every couple of months. Last time it was Julie & Julia, and of course we made dinner with recipes from Julia Child's The Art of French Coooking.

This time around we watched Under the Tuscan Sun, and the recipes were from Giada de Laurentiis. The meal was fabulous. And, in true Italian form we took our time with it. Enjoying each other's company, laughing and drinking lots of good wine.

Our first course was a simple cheese and crackers plate with a side of grapes. We had three different cheeses (forgive me I don't know what type) accompanied by sesame crackers and grapes. Of course we had this with Presecco (an Italian sparkling white).

This was followed by appetizers. Apps were my department. I am used to desserts or main courses, so having to choose anything else is often mind-boggling to me. And let's not forget that I've been on a "I don't want to make any decisions" kick lately, I was really afraid I'd let the girls down with my apps.

For apps I served Goat Cheese Toasts and Watermelon, Tomato, Basil Skewers. Both these recipes were easy to make. The toasts were baugette bread lightly toasted in extra virgin olive oil, then spread with a mixture of goat cheese and herbs, topped with chopped kalamata olives and chives. YUM! My other app, I was a little leary about. Who ever heard of pairing watermelon and tomato? Much less putting balsalmic vinegar on it? I am not a huge fan of tomatoes by themselves, an only eat them in small doses. But let me just say - OMG! Giada is a freakin' genious. This was a light appetizer which was refreshing on the palate. The contrast of textures, the smoothness of the watermelon paired with the acidity of the tomato and crispness of the basil - very good. Top that with the reduction of equal parts balsalmic vinegar and sugar, it was just so refreshing and left you ready for the rest of the meal. Definitely something to make for spring/summer time get togethers.

Our next course was salad. Colin prepared an Artichoke and Tomato Panzanella, in which she grilled artichokes and mixed them with toasted  bread, olives and tomatoes,along with a few herbs. So tastey! Especially as I'd never had grilled artichokes before. We all agreed that grilling them adds a bit of sweetness to their flavor. This is one salad I'd prepare again, and even enjoy just as a light meal by itself.
   Our next course was soup. Again, this was Colin's department (bless her heart, one of our members cancelled so Colin picked up and took over 2 courses. She's originally just planned on soup but provided us two great courses to our meal)! She chose a Ribollita. What she describes as "A simple tuscan style soup". It is very similar to what we are used to as minestrone. But has spinach mixed in and is served over toasted ciabatta bread. This soup was so good I had to restrain myself from having seconds (or from licking the bowl). It could also stand by itself as a light meal.
Now for the main course! Kirsten stunned us with a twist on Chicken Marsala. Now, I have to admit when I heard we were having chicken marsala, I was like "Really? Great." It's not one of my favorite Italian dishes. I guess my days waiting tables at Olive Garden in college kind of turned me off from it. I served it so many times that I got to where just the smell of it kind of churned my stomach. However, this recipe had an interesting twist, Chicken with Mustard Mascarpone Marsala Sauce has a nice creamy sauce unlike any Marsala I've had before. The cremini mushrooms give it a nice earthy taste against the sauce, which is sweetened up a bit by the addition of mascarpone.

And finally, what meal isn't completed by a wonderful dessert? Caroline wowed us with Pears Poached in Red Wine. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have an undying sweet tooth. But of late I've traded in my love affair with chocolate for a love affair with fruit. Pears Poached in Red Wine, satisfied this affair immensely. First the pears were cooked in the wine with cinnamon sticks and lemon slices, then the extra ingredients were removed and the wine was reduced to a thick syrup. Marscarpone was mixed with heavy cream to creat a dollop of creamy sinfulness to accompany the pears. I was in heaven. I truly think this was one of the best desserts I've had EVER. And, that's saying a lot.

Finally, in true Italian form a "Digestivi Liquore" was served as at the end of the meal. Colin's homemade Lemoncello was excellent. I've had many variations of Lemoncello ranging from smooth and creamy to so stout it would grow hair on your chest. Her's was a smooth mixture, light and crisp on the palate. A perfect end to an amazing meal!

*note I have recipes to all the courses listed above. If you are interested in trying these for yourself feel free to let me know and I'll gladly send them your way*



4 comments:

  1. Was the "I'm not sure what kind of cheeses" disclaimer added because you knew I'd ask what kind of cheeses? :-) Mmm! CHESSE!!!

    Everything sounded decadent and delicious!! Much fancier that my standing Tuesday Deadliest Catch date with Dena. It's the only time I cook during the week (shame, shame) and I can assure you nothing gets poached! So I'm a little jealous of you and and your ambitious friends! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... I knew a cheese comment of some sort was coming. All I can say is one was fontina, one was very creamy and one had red pepper mixed in. The creamy one was my favorite. I know, that helps you out a lot. The only other hint I can give is they were Italian. It was a requirement that all foods/wines be Italian. :) And hey, weekends are when I cook. Sometimes during the week our "feast" is frozen fish sticks. he he he...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I LOVE this - ALL of it! I so want to do this one day when I have a new house. I think next month you should watch "Fried Green Tomatoes" or "Steel Magnolias" and cook Paula Deen Southern cuisine!

    Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to our Croatian feast in July! Never cooked anything from Croatia, (so I'll be the one borrowing cookbooks or asking advice) but I love trying new things.

    ReplyDelete