Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympic Commentary

I promise not to endlessly talk about the Olympics for the next week and a half, but they are captivating. For 2 weeks we stop, come together and forget all the war, famine and other adversity facing the planet. Well, we don't forget but it's not the lead on our news programming.

I admire these athletes. As someone who is probably ranked among the least athletic on the planet watching them perform their feats often leaves me in awe. I have to wonder where they get their drive. I mean, I manage to fall on a tiny piece of ice and hobble around for several days downing ibprofen like it's candy - these guys go cartwheeling down a mountain on skis and get up and go again.

One especially terrifying sport to me is the luge. This is one sport I love to pick on... I mean, really? You have to be a special kind of daredevil to want to plummet down a tube of ice at speeds of 90ish mph on a sled with nothing to protect you but a skin suit and a helmut. After tragedy struck during training they shortened the course to make it not as risky - it's now 2 football fields shorter. I still saw someone clock speeds of 89 mph the other day. Terrifying.

Then there's the ridiculous. Curling. Really? This is one sport that I just don't get. You want to sweep something? I've got a lovely kitchen floor dying to be swept in record time. If it makes you feel better, you can push a little puck around the room as you do so.

My favorites are the ice skating and skiing competitions. I do not know the difference between a triple lutz, triple salchow or triple axle - but watching these men and women gracefully glide across the ice is amazing. And the skiers? I remember having an extreme crush on Alberto Tomba in Calgary. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because that was the thing to do, the media was in love with him and his playboy ways. Ever since that middle school crush I've been captivated by skiing.

For all my kidding, I do respect each and every one of these athletes (even the ones with pink hair). They represent us on the world stage, they compete with fierce determination. And, many times have a great backstory to share with us. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy the games. I know I'll be glued to the tv watching their victories - and I have to admit rewinding and replaying a few of the defeats as well.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, what was with the white and pink haired girl? She looked like a real life anime character. But hey, like you said, I sure the heck can't do it!! I'm right there with you on the least athletic list. (And the obsessively watching the Olympics list.)

    I know a lady from Michigan who enjoys watching curling but was kind of like "It's cool to watch, but how hard can it be?" Her kids got her a session at a curling training center or something like that. She said it was the hardest thing she's ever tried and she actually is fairly athletic. Not that it convinced me to be a big fan or anything, but I thought it was interesting that it really is pretty hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girl with the white and pink hair is so cute to me. Did you see her at the Medal Ceremony? She was so excited to be there, and talk about an animated singer!!

    ReplyDelete