Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wednesday Recipe Review

I have decided I would dedicate one day a week to a recipe review. I love to cook. Since Wednesday is typically the day newspapers print a section on Food, and you typically find the new sales fliers from the supermarkets in your mailbox on Wednesday, it seems the logical day for my food review.

I'll cook pretty much anything at least once, but really love desserts. Not too long ago I found a recipe by Paula Deen that was very intriguing to me. It was entitled "Gooey Butter Cake" and got rave reviews on her website. Now, I must admit - I don't screw up many recipes, but I did kinda goof this one. The secret to this recipe is that you should serve it warm (not the next day like I did). The middle is supposed to be a little runny, hence the term gooey in the title. If you wait a day or so, it will coaggulate as it cools.While it still tastes good, it's not the consistency it's meant to be.

Also, I should warn you, if you have heart/artery problems, this probably isn't the recipe for you. We all know Paula loves her butter - and this recipe definitely uses plenty of it. If you want a cake you can conceal it's flaws with icing. This is not the cake for you. While it is very good, it is very rich. Icing would probably put you in the hospital in a sugar coma. Due to these reasons, I'm going to give it a B.

Paula's Gooey Butter Cake. Looks good, don't ya think?


So, without further ado... Paula Deen's Recipe for Gooey Butter Cake:

Ingredients
Cake:
1- 18.25 ounce package yellow cake mix
1- egg
8- tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
1- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
2- eggs
1- teaspoon vanilla
8- tablesppons butter, melted
1- 16 ounce box powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat themixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Prepare filling. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over cake batter and bake for 40-50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as center should still be gooey.

This should cure your craving for butter, at least for a bit. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Made it many times and of various varieties. Crowd pleaser everytime! Wish I was in Savannah again to eat at the Lady & Sons!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did my comment not post? Ugh! When that happens, I get to frustrated to retype it so... blah blah blah... we make a version with pumpkin and one with marble that is less rich... blah blah... like it better. Blah. :-)

    ReplyDelete