Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bathroom Countertops Held Hostage

Isn't it just my luck that my renovations would be as ADD as I am? For about the last month we've been redoing various rooms in our house. As I've mentioned before, the floors in this place were awful. And the bathrooms were carpeted - which to me is just too bizarre.

So, we pulled up the carpet and have installed tile in each bathroom. Of course, it couldn't be that simple. New floors call for new paint, right? And, the half bath downstairs had a hideous vanity in it which also called for replacing. (Pictures will follow soon, I promise).

During the course of doing all this, we decided we'd go ahead with the second phase of the new floors: hardwoods in the downstairs. Eventually we'll need either new carpet or hardwood upstairs too, but having to live within our budget we are just doing downstairs for now. The downstairs floor is on order and hopefully within the next month will be completed.

Now, the plan in the masterbath was to put new floors and also redo the countertop. My new floors are black marble, and the new wall color is a light grey. Needless to say, the green laminate countertop that is in there doesn't quite match. So, the plan was to purchase a kit from Lowe's to refurbish the countertops ourselves. I read the reviews this sounded fairly simplistic and for now the most effective way to update both my bathroom and the kids bathroom countertops (theirs are a hideous blue) without spending a ton of money.

Well, that was the plan. Until Sunday. Sunday morning I was changing the trash bag in the kitchen when I noticed a leak. Yep, there was a leak under the sink. Got to looking around and decided it was from the dishwasher. Out comes the repairman on Monday. Guess what? New dishwasher needed. So, it looks like my bathroom countertops have been hijacked. Since nobody ever sees the upstairs bathrooms except for those of us who live here, we figure if given the choice a dishwasher is the more necessary part of life vs. new countertops.

So, long story short - my bathroom renovations are being held hostage until further notice. But my 10 year old dishwasher should soon be replaced by a new one. The hubs and I can stop yelling at eachother, or turning the TV up to high volume when dishes are being done. And possibly a sense of normalicy will follow. Or, as normal as can be for this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment