Monday, May 17, 2010

Robin Hood - Not Your Average Man in Tights

So, as promised we went and saw Russell Crowe as Robin Hood: The Untold Story of How the Man Became a Legend this past weekend. I must admit, it was much better than I expected it to be, and not at all like Gladiator. With it starring Crowe and Ridley Scott directing, I really expected it to be Maximus in Medieval Times. While there were a few similarities, they were few and far between.

This is NOT the Robin Hood you grew up knowing. It is a different tale, showing Robin fighting as an archer in the crusades and then returning back to England to an oppressive government. I don't want to give out details and ruin the movie for you, but there is no past history between Robin & Maid Marion... they don't meet until after his return to England. Also, there is not a return of King Richard in this film. You see, he was killed in battle and Robin returns his crown to England, giving it to the Queen Mum who in turn crowns Prince John as the new ruler.

The story line is also left open at the end making room for a sequel later. I don't know how there would be a sequel, and don't know that Ridley Scott is really into making sequels out of his movies, but there is definitely room at the end to extend this story into a sequel if they so choose. The actors did a fantastic job. Crowe, as always, delivered his performance superbly. Cate Blanchette was a fantastic Marion. Each of the actors embodied their roles. I don't think I would have recast a single person in the film.

I do think this is a movie for the big screen. There were not as many fight scenes in it as I expected - it follows a story line fairly well, and doesn't have as much action as the trailers would make you think. But when they do fight, Scott does deliver his trademark fights of epic proportion. All and all I give the movie an A. Not necessarily one I'd see multiple times in the theatre, but one I will probably purchase once it's available.

No comments:

Post a Comment