Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This Shouldn't Hurt - You've Been Through Worse

First, let me say that I have a great optometrist office. In case you don't follow me on facebook, or if I haven't talked to you in a few days, you may not know that I am currently suffering an eye injury. Nothing too awful (although it sure felt that way Sunday night and all day yesterday). I have a corneal abrasion. These can be serious, but thankfully mine is located out of my field of vision so as long as I follow doctor's orders it shouldn't be more than just a healing process now.

I was outside a lot this weekend and apparently got something on/in my contact lens. (I hate the outdoors, and now I am reminded why.) My eyes were itchy when I took them out Sunday evening, but I really thought just getting the contacts out would improve them. It helped one eye - it hurt the other. As soon as the contact was out of my left eye, immense/excruciating pain began. I spent the evening with a series of compresses on my eye, and at one point debated if I should make Andre take me to the ER. I suffered through til morning and then called the 24 hour hotline at my optometrist's office. The doctor on call was nice enough to meet me at 7 a.m. to see what was going on in my eye. He confirmed that I did have a "corneal abrasion" a.k.a. tear to my  cornea. He medicated my eye and gave me some prescriptions for treatment and told me to come back today. Apparently corneal abrasions can be serious and they want to watch me pretty regularly to make sure no infection sets in.

So, today I go in and am being screened by the murse (yes, I mean murse, it was a man nurse - are they called nurses or assistants in an optometrist office?). Well, my murse is a nice guy. He's playing with child #3 and asking me how many kids I have, etc. He goes to put the dilating drops in my eye and says, "This shouldn't hurt. You've been through worse."

hmm.... it doesn't hurt, and having worn glasses/contacts since 5th grade I really am not afraid of anything going near my eye, but I though his comment was odd. Then he goes on to say "I mean, with three kids, you've been poked/prodded enough that a little dilation shouldn't be a big deal."

he he he... I thought of all kinds of dilation quips I could have made, but decided I'd just say them in my head instead of out loud. I hope I get the murse when I go back next week - he made my doomed vision a much more pleasant experience.

2 comments:

  1. At least the murse recognized this fact. Some men just think all the lady business we have to go through is easy-breezy.

    While we're on funny eye doctor stories, I heart my eye doc. He's about my age and he has sensed that I can't be offended, so he jokes with me and stuff. Of course, then he always says "I can't believe I said that, how unprofessional"... to which I reply "Seriously, we've been over this..." So this last time, he misspelled something and was saying what a terrible speller he was. After hinting there was a story which he didn't think he should tell me, I finally talked him out of it. In optom. school, he saw a patient with a pus-filled eye. Only he modified the adjective slightly, which gave it a very different meaning. I don't think I've ever laughed that hard at a doctor's appointment.

    Hope the corneal abraison heals well... and doesn't become, um, pus-filled. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha!! I can only imagine what he wrote... lol. Yes, I'm looking quite ridiculous in my old lady cataract glasses (over my regular glasses since contacts are a no-no for at least a week).

    ReplyDelete