Monday, March 22, 2010

11" Later... My Hair is 1/2 What it Used to Be

Well, I took the plunge. After growing my hair out for over a year, I cut it off. It wasn't as drastic of a change as I had in mind (the girl who cut it was actually afraid I'd hate her today). But it was a needed change. Maybe next time I'll get it the more choppy, textured look I had in mind. For now, the razor cut bob I got is sufficient. Gives my kids time to recognize me without too much drama.

For those of you who don't know, I was always daring with my hair when I was younger. My nearly black locks have been platinum blonde, they've been "boy short". I've had crazy bobs, echoing the 1920's flapper era, to long locks with severe bangs looking quite Cleopatraish. In college I even attempted to mimic Meg Ryan's do from City of Angels. Um... that was a disaster. I actually called in to work and went into hiding for a day and a half until the stylist could make me look less like a white Tina Turner and more like myself.

Before 4:45 yesterday afternoon, my hair was past my shoulderblades, almost mid-back. To be exact, it was 22" long. I cut off 1/2 of it.  I know, the picture is gross. An 11" poneytail on a kitchen chair (I know, yesterday I said 10.5", but I actually measured it with a tape measure a minute ago, it's 11"). Nice! I came home and told the hubs it was too special to me, we couldn't part ways just yet. I needed some time to say farewell. His response was not fit for network television. No worries! I'm mailing it off to a charitable wig organization later today.


In case you're wondering the finished project isn't life altering or really too exciting. It is presentable. It is fun - even if I did think for a moment I needed to throw up when she chopped it off. I'm sure in a week, I'll hate it as much as I hate all my hairdos and the plotting for a new look will set in. It always does.

But, for now this is the age/weight appropriate do. Yes, I said weight appropriate, nothing too short until a few more pounds/chins have removed themselves from my post-baby blobbishness.

1 comment: