Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Uncovering My Home's True Potential

I have an irresistable urge to rip up everything in my house and start over. I'm thinking this isn't a good sign. I do love my house. The hubs did good. He found it and made an offer on it before I ever came out here. It was a bit scary, and our realtor was sweating bullets the day I flew in to see it.

She took me to 11 houses before she brought me here. She told me if I hated it, she could figure out a way to get us out of it - there were plenty of loopholes she could use. I did fall in love with one not too far away, but it had no closets (literally, NONE). I couldn't justify the increase in cost - even if it was a bigger house - when there were no nooks or crannies to hide my clothes in.

When I saw this one I loved it. Even with the disgusting decorations the previous tennants had scattered about (i.e. the jungle growing on the mantle, the mismatched furniture, and the beaded doors circa 1972 pot house) I saw it's potential.

We bought as a short sale, so everything was "as is". The hubs went to work and repainted the inside, but one of the colors didn't quite take like we had wanted it to. Last weekend I bought 6 gallons of paint to finish things up, and hopefully before too long we'll start the flooring process.

But, this has unleashed a monster. Now I have all kinds of ideas. New fixtures in the bathrooms, an island in the kitchen, one day I'd like new countertops. Every frappin' light fixture in the house needs to be changed - which means all the door hinges and handles also will need to be swapped out to match the finish on the lighting fixtures I want. WHERE DOES IT END?!

So, since I obviously don't make enough money to just gut the place and start over, we've decided to babystep it. Phase 1: this spring. Convert kitchen and living room color from crazy red they are now to a warm terracotta in the kitchen and neutral brown for the living. Phase 2: this spring. New floors downstairs and in bathrooms (maybe upstairs as well, just depends on what we find vs. the budget to do this). These are the phases the hubs knows about. ha ha.... in my mind Phase 3: sometime late this year/early 2011 lighting/fixtures update Phase 4: kitchen.

About the time we get all that done, I'll have found a new color I love and either have to repaint or begin to pester the hubs for new furniture. I'm thinking it's time for a new hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment