Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Random Thoughts

How did I go from no job to many jobs? True, I still consider myself a stay at home mom, because I do work from home. But in the last two months I started working for a family business basically handling scheduling and billing from home. It's flexible, it's all done by computer and telephone, and it lets me raise the baby without having to rely on daycare - which is always a plus!

However, in the last few weeks I've been approached to assist in running a small political campaign back home, assist in designing a website (which I don't know if I can do, but I'm fairly certain I can follow the templates), and now I've been approached to work free-lance doing some press releases for a contact out here.

So my brain has begun to spin... you know, it's very seldom that it isn't spinning out of control. But, now I'm wondering - would it be possible to turn these freelance requests into an actual job? For those of you who may recall, I interviewed with a small public relations firm out here around the holidays. Timing for that wasn't quite right on either end. But that company was a husband and wife team who started a great business in their basement and have been able to steadily grow it over the years.

I know a LOT of people back home who did similiar things - running their own one-woman design or marketing  businesses out of their homes. So, why would I be any different? It's living the American dream, right? Working for yourself? True, there's the whole issue of billing, keeping up with time, making sure you don't bill the client for the time you had to feed and change your child.

So, for the next few weeks as I work on these various projects, I'm also going to start doing a little bit of research on the side. Talking to people who have done it, researching the market, figuring things out. Basically seeing if this is another hair-brained idea I've cooked up, or if it could have any meat to it.

Sorry that today's blog wasn't comical, whimsical, or anything that I started out saying it would be - but I had a need to get my idea out there... to see what others thought of it. Feel free to comment, mock, encourage, etc. I need all of the above to decide if it's a leap we're willing to attempt! We'll return to regularly scheduled programming tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment