Monday, March 29, 2010

My Weekend in Review

This weekend flew by. I'm thinking I need a vacation just to recover! It started simple enough, just a couple movies and the couch.

We started out watching Taking Chance. This movie was more than I expected it to be. Kevin Bacon is a colonel in the Marine Corps. He's an analyst who is starting to double guess what exactly he's doing with his life. As he reviews the list of casulaties he runs across the name of a young man who's enlisted from his hometown in Colorado. Bacon volunteers to transport him home for the funeral. What ensues is a heart wrentching true story following the next week of his life. I'm glad I watched it in the dark, because the tears were freely flowing pretty much throughout the movie. I would definitely recommend it as a must see. It wasn't a movie in theatres, rather an HBO movie so it didn't get a lot of recognition. For once I'm happy I listened to what Netflix recommended.

We followed that up with Have You Heard About the Morgans? Funny movie. Not great, but just what I have come to expect from Hugh Grant.

The rest of the weekend was pretty much work. Saturday, phase one of our home make-over started. We repainted the kitchen. It went from the awful red color that was there to a nice, warm "rusty nail." No, seriously, that is the name of the color. It's like a deep terracotta. The room now feels warmer and more welcoming than it did in the hideous shade previously there.

After painting and running errands all day Saturday we had the neighbors (and good friends) over for pizza and a movie. I was the only one who'd seen The Blind Side. And, I'm hoping it lived up to everyone's expectation after I raved about it!


(my caption option apparently isn't working - old kitchen on top, new on bottom)

The kitchen was the easy part. Sunday we tackled the living room and stairwell. I am sore in places I didn't know existed on my body! The hideous red is now replaced by a warm beige (a.k.a. "bush whacking" - where do they come up with these names?!) and the mantle is highlighted in a cream. Suddenly my house feels light and airy, instead of like a dungeon in one of the inner sanctions of hell (yes, the red was that bad).




(again with the caption keys! Dungeon living room top, new paint bottom- excuse the mess the baby has taken over the living room with his toys)

So that completes phase one. Next phase, new floors. That should be interesting!

2 comments:

  1. I like the rusty nail! Very nice. Paint color names CRACK ME UP!!! On my last business trip, the attorney (who is just a few years older than me) and I were talking about him having his house repainted and dying laughing about a paint called "pearl necklace". The VP (who IS my age) didn't get it. We didn't explain.

    Though I have no idea when I 'll get around to it, I have selected "bagel" for our living room. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched Taking Chance after we left Saturday night. It was awesome. Very touching. Thanks again for the fun company.

    ReplyDelete