Friday, March 5, 2010

Grudgingly Jumping on the Running Bandwagon

Recently, I splurged and bought some new running shoes. I don't buy things for myself very often. Let's face it - I'm a hermit, hermits don't need much - so when I decided to spend that much money on something for myself you would think I'd use them, correct? Umm, not so much.


In case you can't tell, they are Brooks. Brooks are higly rated by Runner's World magazine. We'll see...

For those of you who may not know me or my family very well, I'll fill you in. The spousal unit is very into athletics. There's not much he hasn't done athletically, and he's very competitive. He was a golden gloves boxer, great tennis/raquetball player, he runs, road bikes, and is currently in training for an ironman later this year. Then there's me. Exercise in my mind is walking up and down the stairs 15 times a day. Yes, I've had moments when I thought I'd get into better shape. But, really - who are we kidding here? I'm one of the klutziest people on the planet. And for a while, my kltuziness resulted in a surgery (or at least multiple doctor's visits) a year, so why tempt fate now that I seem to be past that section of my life?

But, alas - he continues to pester me on this subject because this would be "quality time" for us to spend together. Ha Ha Ha... as if quality time were described by me getting angry at the fact that he runs/bikes ahead while I try to stay upright on the trail. This subject could easily land me and the hubs on The Marriage Ref.


But really, how hard can it be? I mean the people on Biggest Looser can do it. Random people I know on FB who don't look too athletic continuously post about their mileage. And, even my just as athletically challenged as I am friend has started walking/working up to running a mile - you can read about her quest here.

So, since it's become apparent that my apathy towards all things athletic or exercise related may soon enough land me in divorce court (or at the very least as a contestant on The Marriage Ref) I guess I'll vow today to start doing something. We'll start small. Maybe a walk around the neigborhood... but eventually I'm turning into this woman:

I thought the picture was appropriate since I'm in CO. Of course to run up a mountain like that will probably land me in the hospital with all sorts of broken bones/collapsed lung.




3 comments:

  1. I AM athletically challenged... and I'm also mathematically challenged... so I can tell you I am up to being able to run 1/8 + 1/16 of a mile. I just can't tell you exactly how much that amounts to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No clue... I'll ask Andre when he gets home. He's good at math. Me not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll walk/run with you. I promise not to walk/run ahead of you. Oh and I won't laugh too hard if you fall down, I'll even pick you up. Afterall what are neighbours for?

    ReplyDelete