Monday, March 8, 2010

Home Improvement: Take I

My fascination with reality tv is about to literally hit home in our daily lives. Andre (aka the hubs) and I love watching "Moving Up" and various shows about flipping/improving homes, etc. When we purchased our house last summer it needed some work. We've repainted most of it, and plan to finish that task very soon. Now to move on to the floors.

Our house is fully carpeted. This is an odd concept to me. Who carpets the bathrooms? So the plan is to rip out the carpet and put in new hardwood and tile. We may put new carpeting upstairs, this is still debatable. Andre seems to think he can do all this himself (except carpet install) which is even more intriguing to me. Needless to say, I may be temporarily living in a hotel during the time of the upgrades - just to keep the possibility for disaster to a minimum.

I can already picture the disaster that will probably occur. Sure, Andre's plenty handy... but my household luck is a lot like Tim Allen's. And, unfortunately I don't know if we have an "Al" nearby. (Although the real life Al does some ads for a handyman in town, but I digress.)

Anyone who knows me knows that even the simplest of projects become a daunting overhaul when I'm involved. The OCD in me requires intense/extensive research on the project at hand. Which means in a matter of days I will probably become a self proclaimed expert at the variations between Oak, Bamboo, Pine, Hickory, etc. Lord help us all!

As I begin this quest, I'm curious to know who else has survived a major home improvement project, and would you do it again? I've heard it said that building a home can make or break a relashionship. And, I've heard that "improvement projects" are sometimes worse than planning from ground zero. So, if you have any interesting tidbits you'd like to share - feel free. And be prepared, you'll probably see lots of rants/comments in the months to come (once we decide on a "go date") on this topic. But in the end, hopefully we won't have accomplished a complete demolish of our beloved home, rather I'll be able to post some really amazing before/after shots.

1 comment:

  1. When I was 16-ish, my parents built an addition on the back of our house. It was miserable. We were literally living in a construction zone. My mom took a vow that she would never go through a major remodel (one room at a time projects still allowed). I vowed with her.

    Our kitchen project is the only major undertaking David and I have done. David and my BIL laid laminate wood in our bedroom but that went smoothly. This kitchen project has so many pieces and we are doing most of it ourselves. It's been hectic but it's also nice that we are not on someone else's time schedule. Want to paint the cabinets today? No? Okay.

    ReplyDelete