Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Take on The Blind Side

What an amazing story! I purposely did not see this in the theatre because I knew it would make me cry. It takes a lot to draw a tear to my eye, but this had me crying within minutes of the opening credits, and off and on until the very end of the closing credits.

Leigh Anne Tuohy is an amazing woman, and Sandra Bullock's depiction of her is awesome. I'm also glad I watched this alone, so I know what to expect when watching it with the hubs later on. He tends to make fun of me when I cry at movies. Of course his "they aren't real people" line wouldn't apply to this, because they are.

My husband is a football fan, I'm sure he knows who Michael Oher is. Before the previews of this story, I did not. Neither of us knew Oher's background. I saw in an "HBO Behind the Scenes Look" of the movie that while some liberties were taken (as with all movies) this is very true to life. The real Leigh Anne Tuohy was on set during much of the filming to make sure of it. She's a spunky woman, she wouldn't let those hollywood types get her story too far off base. It was touching as well to see her in the audience at the Oscars to see Sandra win her award.

It is amazing how they caught on film the things we go through for those we love. And her determination to help this boy - there just aren't words! I have a new hero.

My two favorite scene had to be she confronted a gang-banger about messing with Michael, "You mess with my son, you mess with me" and she goes on to tell him how she's a card toting member of the NRA, and always "packin". He wants to know what she's carrying, if it's a "Saturday night special" and she says not only that, but it works just fine all the other days, too. He's left speechless. But it's such a true moment. What wouldn't we do for the ones we love? We'd risk it all, even if it meant putting ourselves in harms way.

Anyway, the point to today's blog isn't really a movie review, but rather a reflection on this story. This woman didn't ask questions, she knew what had to be done to help this young man. She jumped in feet first and did it. I don't know what he's like in real life, but I know he ended up getting an education and making something of himself. Michael went from cleaning up the bleachers after sporting events so he could get the discarded bags of popcorn and have something to eat to a multi-million dollar contract in the NFL. Leigh Anne realized a young man needed help, and that nobody else was going to give it to him. Her family didn't think it odd that they take him on as a big brother or older son.

We could all be so lucky to know such a bond.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing it (it won't be in the Redbox for a while though - boo!) Like you, I'll probably watch it alone. If I must cry, no one needs to see that. :-)

    And yes, what an amazing family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see this movie. Kenna saw it at the theatre and loved it. Wish redbox would get it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete